Cookbook Challenge #1

Watkins Cook Book 1936

I think this cookbook may mean the most to me. It belonged to my grandmother and for years I have begged my mom for this book but she would never part with it. That is until now. This year for my 30th birthday she finally passed it on. I am so proud to own this book and am very honored that my mother would give it to me. One thing I love most about this book is the hand written changes to the recipes. Or maybe the typed recipes folded and used as book marks. There is just so much to love about this book. So, I felt it fitting for this to be the first cookbook in my challenge.

For my first recipe I chose Pork Chops Southern Style.

I was a little nervous as I have never had chops prepared this way and the recipe really didn't give much instructions. I tweaked the recipe just a tad by using a cast iron dutch oven instead of a "buttered baking dish". I did not have "onion seasoning" so I used garlic powder instead. Also, instead of "rich cream sauce or tomato sauce" I used a little garlic basil and olive oil tomato sauce out of a jar and a splash of half and half.

It may not have looked fabulous but I have to say, it was DELISH! The meat was so tender and the flavor was delightful.
Not so bad for my first challenge. I wonder what's next.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I never would have thought to put tomatoe sauce and corn on pork chops.

    ReplyDelete