I Heart EarthDance!

The mission of EarthDance is to inspire local FARMS - Food, Art, Relationships & Music, Sustainably!

It's hard to believe that it was ten months ago when Tim and I received our acceptance letters for the 2011 EarthDance Organic Apprenticeship program. As the blog title says, "seems just like yesterday". Seriously, where has the time gone?


It truly seems like it was just yesterday that we had our first meet and greet pot luck. I can remember at that first pot luck, thinking “Wow, this is a great group of people, we're in for a good time.” From the moment Tim and I received our letters, I had a feeling something great was in store, but I couldn’t have predicted just how wonderful this year would be.  I had high hopes for this program but really didn’t know what to expect. I can honestly say my experience far exceeded my expectations.  Yes, there was bitter cold, extreme heat, serious injury, tractor let down, crop loss…but somehow, looking back that all made it worth it in the end.

Earlier this year I tore a core abdominal muscle while working on the hop garden in our back yard. (check back for a post on our hops). This injury put me out of commission for awhile and at times I feel like I'm still healing from it 5 months later. But even though I wasn’t able to farm to my full potential for the last 5 months I still took away a great sense of accomplishment.  The knowledge that I’ve gained, along with the new friends I’ve made is priceless.

This year came with lots of change and loss but because of EarthDance and being a part of this program, I feel like a much stronger person. I think I really “found myself” this year. Who knew that organic farming would change my life?!  And best of all, after searching my whole life for a hobby, I think I may have finally found it. =) I am so excited to continue on with the program next year where I’ll be focusing on herbs as medicine. Not sure where this will lead me but I’m anxious to begin the journey.

If any of you have the slightest interest in organic farming, seriously consider this program. It really is like farm school. You will learn so much more than how to properly use a stirrup hoe or when to direct seed.  Between the classroom style training, the hands on field work, the field trips to visit local farms and speaking to the farmers who run them, to selling at the market and so much more. These are things you cannot find in books. Not to mention the people who are a part of the program. It’s so refreshing to be around such an eclectic group who share a love for fresh veggies and growing and living more sustainably.
Needless to say, I love EarthDance and I’m so grateful I became a “Farmie” this year. Even through the sad times and change in my personal life, this was one of the best years. In a lot of ways, I have EarthDance (and my husband of course) to thank!

For more information about EarthDance or becoming an Apprentice, visit them at http://www.earthdancefarms.org/


















No comments:

Post a Comment